Ativan was first introduced by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals in 1977 under the brand names Ativan and Tempesta. Ativan 1 mg is one of the medications approved for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, sleep difficulty due to anxiety or stress, trouble sleeping, severe agitations, status epilepticus, chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, and as a medication given right before anesthesia. is also used to treat alcohol withdrawal.
Forms And Strength Of Ativan:
Ativan comes as oral tablets and a vial that contains a liquid solution. The solution is given as an intravenous (IV) injection or intramuscular (IM) injection.
Here are the strengths of each form of Ativan:
- In Oral tablets form it is available: Ativan 0.5 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Ativan 2 mg
- In Liquid solution for injection form, it is available: 2 mg per mL, 4 mg/mL
Composition Of Ativan:
The active ingredient of each Ativan tablet contains 0.5 mg or 1 mg or 2 mg of lorazepam. The inactive ingredients present are lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and polacrilin potassium.
Generally, Ativan is available both online and offline in the market in 2 different varieties. These are:
- Ativan 1 mg is a small round-shaped, yellow-colored tablet.
- Ativan 2 mg is a small round-shaped, white-colored tablet.
Low Dose Of Ativan 1 mg Used For?
Ativan 1 mg is a sedative-hypnotic or anxiolytic medication. It belongs to a class of medications called benzodiazepines for a prescription drug used in adults to:
- Anxiety disorders
- Make you fall asleep before surgery
- Insomnia (trouble sleeping) due to anxiety or stress
- Anxiety associated with depressive symptoms
- Short-term relief of anxiety
- Seizures lasting longer than 5 minutes
- Surgery-related anxiety, usually given shortly before anesthesia
How To Intake Ativan?
Take Ativan 1 mg exactly as prescribed by the doctor in the prescription. You may consult with the doctor about whether you will take it with or without food. It should remember that taking it at the same time each day helps to maintain a consistent level of medicine in the body. Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Because it may a high potential for habit-forming.
Follow the directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides. Swallow the extended-release capsule whole and do not crush, chew, break, or open it. If you cannot swallow a capsule whole, open it and mix the medicine with applesauce. Swallow the mixture right away without chewing. Then drink a glass of water.
Do not stop using this medication without consulting your doctor. You may have life-threatening withdrawal symptoms if you stop using the medicine suddenly after long-term use.
Ativan 1 mg Works:
For patients with anxiety, it requires an initial dose of 1 mg to 3 mg/day given two times a day or three times a day as per the doctor’s prescription. Usually, for insomnia due to anxiety and situational stress, a single daily dose of 1 to 4 mg may be given at bedtime.
Ativan is a fast-acting benzodiazepine for making slow down activity in your brain, helping control anxiety and stop seizures. It makes calming the nervous system to balance activity in the brain, promoting a relaxing, calming effect.
How Useful Ativan 1 mg Tablet:
In the Treatment of short-term anxiety, Ativan 1mg tablet reduces the symptoms of excessive anxiety and worry. Anxiety may arise in stressful conditions such as an exam or job interview. Ativan 1 mg reduces feelings of restlessness, tiredness, difficulty concentrating, and feeling irritable. This drug helps you go about easy-to-go daily activities and be more productive. Keep taking this medicine even if you feel well. Stopping suddenly can cause serious problems.
Medication errors refer to mistakes in prescribing, dispensing, giving, or taking medication wrongly. It can happen to anyone in any place, including your own home and at the doctor’s office, hospital, pharmacy, and senior living facility. Kids are especially at high risk for medication errors than adults.
The most common causes of medication errors are:
- Poor communication between your doctors.
- Lack of understanding of doctors’ advice.
- Poor communication between you and your doctors.
- Drug names that sound alike and medications that look alike.
- Medical abbreviations.
For this reason, you may apply medication as an overdose or missed dose which is harmful to you. You should improve your understanding level so that you can avoid such it and get safe for you and your children.
Taking any medicine at an improper time or irregularly leads to a missed dose. The patient after missing a dose usually takes a double dose which leads to an overdose but is not good for health. In case you miss a dose, do not panic. Take the dose immediately or continue with your regular dose or consult your doctor.
To take a large amount of medication is considered an overdose. It may accidental or intentional. An overdose of any medication is dangerous to our health, so an overdose of Ativan 1 mg also has some bad effects on our health.
Overdose of Ativan 1 mg leads to dysarthria, paradoxical reactions, hypotension, coma, drowsiness, hypotonia, ataxia, cardiovascular depression, and respiratory problem, which may lead to death.
Go to the doctor immediately if you notice any of the above symptoms.
Side Effects Of Ativan 1 mg:
Every medication has fewer or more side effects after using it someday. Some people can experience side effects for much longer – days, months, or indefinitely. Ativan 1 mg is Benzodiazepine and has also side effects. It has some effects on the body and mind. It may be major side effects and some common side effects.
Ativan 1 mg Effects On The Body:
Ativan 1 mg effects slowly the activity of the nerves in the brain and physical functions and responses. As a tranquilizer, Ativan 1 mg can make the user feel calm and physically relaxed. However, Ativan users have potential adverse reactions to the drug in the body, such as:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Blurry vision
- Stomach pain
- Low energy levels
- Poor muscle coordination
- Loss of balance
- Blood in stool or urine
- Weight loss
- Pale, cool skin
- Involuntary movements (tremors, shaking)
Do not take more time go to a medical check up if you notice severe above symptoms.
Ativan 1 mg Effects On The Mind:
Ativan can have powerful effects on the brain and nerves. However, many users experience a worsening of the same symptoms that the drug is designed to treat. In particular, Ativan 1 mg can cause anxiety, sleep disturbances, abnormal body movements, and agitation.
- Rebound anxiety
- Loss of pleasure in day-to-day experiences
- Memory problem
- Learning difficulties
Go to the doctor immediately if you or your child experience the above symptoms severe.
Withdrawal Symptoms Of Ativan:
Symptoms that are shown when any medicine is stopped suddenly or accidentally are called withdrawal symptoms. All anti-anxiety pills have their withdrawal symptoms, hence Ativan. The symptoms are headache, sweating, tremors, difficulty concentrating, confusion, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations, rapid heart rate, nausea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting.
Alternative Medications Of Ativan 1 mg:
Alternative medicine is used instead of standard medical treatment. The doctor advises altering the medication in case of the medication has a certain allergy or does not work properly.
The followings are alternative medications of Ativan 1 mg:
You should consult the doctor if you want to change the medication instead of Ativan 1 mg.
Other Medicine And Food Interaction:
One should make it clear if he/she is taking any other medicines while taking Ativan 1 mg with the knowledge of the doctor. This medicine may be prescription or without prescription or any vitamins. You should inform your doctor if you take any sleeping pills, men’s health pills, pain relief pills, or ADHD pills.
If you are taking any medication without prescription, it may dangerous to your health. Some medication category as follows should never take with Ativan 1 mg.
- Pain Relief: Codeine, Dilaudid, Gabapentin, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Lortab, Methadone, Norco, Opana ER, Percocet, Roxycodone, Soma, Tramadol, Vicodin,
- Weight Loss: Phentermine, Meridia, Reductil, Slimall
- Sleeping Pills: Ambien, Halcion, Restoril, Rozerem, Sonata
- ADHD Pills: Adderall, Concerta, Evekeo, Dexedrine, Provigil, Ritalin, Strattera, Suboxone
- Men’s Health Pills: Viagra, Cialis, Kamagra, Levitra
It may dangerous if you will take it without concerning your doctor.
Other Food And Beverages Interaction:
Do not take these food items and beverages with Ativan 1 mg:
- Grapefruit Juice
Alcohol leads to drowsiness in the patient. So taking alcohol along with Ativan 1 mg can cause severe drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, and body imbalance. You should avoid it.
Cigarette smoking with Ativan 1 mg may decrease the effectiveness of the drug.
Precautions While Taking Ativan 1 mg:
Take some precautions before using Ativan 1 mg to cure anxiety disorder:
- Test whether you are allergic to Ativan or other Benzodiazepines.
- Test whether you have any kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung/ breathing problems, and mental disorder.
- Drowsiness is one of its side effects, one should not drive, should not operate any machine, or do any serious work as it can be dangerous.
- Ativan 1 mg can also reverse its effect of calming anxiety in old adults. So regular check-ups must be needed.
- Using Ativan 1 mg while pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Consult before taking this medication,
- Breastfeeding mothers should not take this medication without being advised by a doctor.
- Do not take any other Benzodiazepines ( Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Versed, etc.) while taking Ativan 1 mg as it can cause some serious allergic reactions.